Who is responsible for personal information collected on the Site?
The Volunteer 4 Africa Webmaster is the Site owner and operator and is responsible for the Site’s processing of your personal data and may be contacted here.
- Functional cookies: These improve the user experience, for example by remembering previously entered information so you do not need to enter it twice, for example when logging on.
- Google Analytics cookies: These collect a mix of personal information which in some circumstances could identify an individual such as IP address and also aggregated anonymous demographic and statistical data. To opt out of being tracked by Google Analytics across all websites visit http://tools.google.com/dlpage/gaoptout.
Protection of minors
This Site is not directed at children under the age of 13 years and we do not intentionally collect, store or in any way use personal data from children younger than 13 years. If you are a parent or legal guardian and think your child under 13 has given us information, please contact us. In cases where you have authorized a minor (someone under 18 years of age) to use the Site or Services, you acknowledge and agree that you are fully responsible for:
- the online conduct of such minor
- controlling the minor's access to and use of the Site or Services; and
- the consequences of any misuse by the minor.
What is personal data?
Personal data is defined in the Data Protection Act. Personal data means data which relate to a living individual who can be identified (a) from those data, or (b) from those data and other information which is in the possession of, or is likely to come into the possession of, the data controller, and includes any expression of opinion about the individual and any indication of the intentions of the data controller or any other person in respect of the individual. Put more simply, personal data is information that may identify you as a specific individual.
What personal data do we collect?
We only collect personal data you voluntarily provide to us. We collect the following personal data:
- Our web contact form is configured to collect your first name, last name, email address and country if you use the web form to contact us.
- We collect the email address you use when you make a payment to us via PayPal or with your credit/debit card.
- If you register with us as a potential volunteer, we collect your first name, last name, and email address.
- If an organization registers with us, we collect the organization’s name and country and the first name, last name and email address of a contact person.
- We may also collect your personal data if you provide it to us through what you write in a project review or blog post or via our web contact form.
How do we collect personal data?
We collect personal identification data in a variety of ways, including, but not limited to when you register as a potential volunteer, register your organization, submit a project review or blog post, fill out a web form, or make a payment to us.
If you choose not to provide personal data
You always have the choice to not provide us with your personal data. However, it may not be possible to make full or proper use of the Site if your personal data is not provided to us.
How we use personal data
We may collect and use your personal data for the following purposes:
- Register you as a volunteer or register your organization
- Collect any applicable payments via PayPal
- Publish your project reviews and blog posts
- To improve our services: For example, where your contact information helps us to respond to your requests and support your needs more efficiently
- To improve the Site: For example, we may use feedback you provide to improve the functionality and performance of the Site
- To send emails with general information about Site related news and updates.
We do not share your personal data with any third parties, except to the extent necessary to assist you in relation to a purpose listed above. For example, we share your information as necessary with third party suppliers. We will never sell or rent your personal data.
When someone visits this Site we use a third party service, Google Analytics, to collect standard internet log information and details of visitor behaviour patterns. We do this to find out things such as the number of visitors to the various parts of the site. This information is only processed in a way which does not identify anyone. We do not make, and do not allow Google to make, any attempt to find out the identities of those visiting our website. If we do want to collect personally identifiable information through our website, we will be up front about this. We will make it clear when we collect personal information and will explain what we intend to do with it. To opt out of being tracked by Google Analytics across all websites visit http://tools.google.com/dlpage/gaoptout.
The Site uses appropriate data collection, storage and processing practices and security measures to protect against unauthorized access, alteration, disclosure or destruction of your personal data. However, transmitting information over the Internet is generally not completely secure, and we can’t guarantee the security of your data. Any data you transmit is at your own risk.
Retention of personal data
Your personal data will be retained for as long as it is needed to process your transactions and to meet the requirements of business record retention requirements.
Sharing your personal data
Personal information you disclose when using the Site
The Site allows you to interact with other users. If you choose to disclose any personal information to third parties when using the Site, for example through what you post in reviews or on our blog, you do so at your own risk. We are not responsible for the privacy or security of any information, personal or otherwise that you may choose to communicate or exchange using the functionality of our Site, including but not limited to information about yourself or others in your own reviews or posts. Each item of information or any materials you contribute for such purposes is categorized as “Public Content.” Public Content must be content and information that you have a right to disclose and transfer and must not violate any other person’s privacy or intellectual property rights.
Cross-border disclosure of your information
The Site is operated in the UK and is subject to the Data Protection Act. However, your use of the Site may in certain circumstances (for example, if you upload your CV in order to apply for a volunteer opportunity) lead to personal data being transmitted overseas. We will, where practicable, advise you of the countries in which any overseas recipients are located. By providing your personal data in this way, you consent to the disclosure of your personal data to any such overseas recipients.
If, in the course of our internal Site operations, it becomes necessary to transfer data that we collect from you to locations outside of the UK, we will only transfer personal data to an overseas recipient where: (1) the country is one which is considered to provide an adequate level of data protection or (2) the personal data is transferred to a United States company which has signed up to the Safe Harbour scheme or (3) the personal data is transferred to a company which is required by contract to deal with the data as instructed and with appropriate security. If you have any concerns in relation to such transfers, you should not use the Internet as a means of communication with us. By providing your personal data to us, you agree to this transfer, storing or processing.
We take reasonable steps to make sure that your data is treated and stored securely. Unfortunately, the sending of information via the Internet is not totally secure and on occasion such information can be intercepted. We cannot guarantee the security of personal data that you choose to send us electronically and sending such information is entirely at your own risk.
Your acceptance of these terms
Accessing, updating or correcting your personal data
You may request access, updates and corrections to any personal data we hold about you at any time by contacting us. Where we hold information that you are entitled to access, we will try to provide you with suitable means of accessing it. We will not charge for simply making the request and will not charge for making any corrections to your personal data. There may be instances where we cannot grant you access to the personal data we hold. For example, we may need to refuse access if granting access would interfere with the privacy of others or if it would result in a breach of confidentiality. If that happens, we will give you written reasons for any refusal.
Announcements and Special Offers
We may use your name and email address to provide you with announcements and special offers. If you do not wish to receive these kinds of communications please opt-out by contacting us. Please note that we may need to terminate your access to some or all content or services to you if we cannot communicate with you by email. We will not disclose your personal information to third parties for marketing purposes without first notifying you.
Release of Personal Information for legal reasons
We may release your personal information for legal reasons:
- When we believe in good faith that such release is appropriate to comply with the law (for example, pursuant to a statutory demand, subpoena, warrant or court order).
- To protect against fraudulent, abusive or unlawful use of the website.
- To protect our rights or property.
- If we reasonably believe that a situation involving danger of death or injury to any person requires disclosure.
Feedback to us
We have feedback functionality on the Site that allows you to submit comments, suggestions, or bugs found. We may collect your name and email address in order to follow up with you or thank you for a suggestion.
If you have any complaints or concerns, please contact us. If you are dissatisfied with the handling of your complaint, you may contact the Information Commissioner's Office, Wycliffe House, Water Lane, Wilmslow, Cheshire SK9 5AF.
Change of Site ownership